Monday, April 21, 2008

A beautiful spring day is a day to get muddy!


This is how I found the kids when I went to check on them playing in the backyard! My first instinct was to yell and get irritated and tell them to go wash up! My second instinct was to get my camera take some pictures and let them be kids! I am so glad I went with the second instinct! At 38 it is sometimes hard to remember what it felt like to make a good pile of mud, stick my hands in and just get messy! But what fun that is for a kid. Their arms will wash, their clothes will wash (and if it doesn't all come out, oh well, they are just clothes), and my floors will wash from the mud that was tracked into the house. If I had yelled and taken away their fun, what would they remember? They would remember that their mom was an angry person who ruined their fun! Now they can remember the way that mud felt squishing in their hands, the way it looked when it went from light brown dry dirt, to dark, rich thick chocolate colored mud, the way it smelled like the earth from which many living things come. Oh to be a kid again, and just enjoy playing in the mud!

1 comment:

Kirstin Elaine Myers said...

Juliana and Charlie are fortunate to have a mom like you and those photos will be a treasured keepsake they can keep for the rest of their lives!