Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year, New Blog

I have not used my blog in several years, but I decided to try to journal again and thought this would be a good place to do it. I am going to try to post at least a little note every day this year. 2014 was a year of changes for me. I left my job as a night shift labor and delivery nurse, to become an elementary school nurse. I had worked half my life, 22 years, as a night shift nurse and thought I would never be a day person. I was so wrong. This job was exactly what I needed. I feel healthier mentally and physically, and my lab work at the doctor's office shows that to be true physically as well. This job makes me so happy. I love the kids at my school, the staff is wonderful, and I really enjoy the other nurses in the district. They are a wonderful group of women who are always available for questions or support. I truly feel that this job came around at the right time and was exactly what I was meant to do.

Charlie is now in high school. He is learning to drive, taking very challenging classes, and beginning to plan for a summer job. In only 4 years, he will be getting ready to leave home for college. It is very cliche to say, but I swear just yesterday we were dropping him off at Kindergarten. He is so far a really, really, good teenager. Of course he has his moments where he thinks we know nothing and he knows everything (and sometimes, he is right), but overall he is still one of my favorite people to hang out with and have conversations with. He teaches me a lot, and even when I disagree with is viewpoints, he has very well thought out, interesting comments.

Juliana is in her last year of elementary school and is not wanting to ever leave the Trailwood community. I agree with her. When we moved into this house when Charlie was starting Kindergarten, I had no idea how lucky we got to be in this school boundary area. It has been the most wonderful place to send my kids everyday where I knew they were nurtured, challenged and inspired. But, leave she (we) must. She has bigger challenges to conquer in middle and high school to get ready for the world. Watch out world, this one, will do wonderful things! She is smart, funny, creative... she challenges me in so many ways because she has always marched to her own beat, and rarely wants help from anyone. She is our independent girl who we knew from an early age, if she put her mind to it, couldn't be stopped. We only have 8 months till we have another teenager in the house.

James has been at UMB now for about 2 years. He finally has vacation time again and we were able to go to New England for Thanksgiving to be with my family. That is something that hasn't happened since the kids were 1 and 3. It was a wonderful trip. We hope this summer to be able to travel again, most likely out west where we have never been. Much of that trip will be spent camping, which we all love.

Today is the day to pack away the Christmas decorations, clean, do laundry and grocery shop. A mundane day, but it is nice to have the time off to do these things and hang out with these two wonderful kids for a few more days of our break. The best part about being a school nurse is being off two weeks at Christmas and New Year's instead of having to work on them.

I hope 2015 brings us health and happiness. I find as I age, contentment is easier to come by.

Happy New Year!

No comments: