Friday, October 30, 2009

So darn proud of my kids

I had parent teacher conferences for the kids yesterday and could not be prouder of them. Juliana's journal writings are the funniest thing, and she is doing very well in 1st grade. She is still very shy with her teachers, but they said she is socializing well with her peers. Her class is team taught. She has one teacher Mon/Tues and every other Wed, and another teacher Thur/Fri and every other Wed. They are both wonderful women and I love that she gets to have time with each of them. Her teacher on Thurs/Fri was my first friend in Kansas. Yes, that's right, when I moved here in 3rd grade from Pennsylvania, Juliana's teacher was the first person I became friends with. It is so great to meet up with her again and to have her teaching my daughter. We lost touch in middle school because we went to different schools. Her teachers are a great team, and really challenge the kids to meet their personal best. Juliana is being given special opportunities to do challenge math and reading assignments. She is also in a special "research" group for the kids who need more challenges. They research topics and then present them to the class. I love that our school constantly strives to meet the needs of all the students.

Charlie had his first student led conference. His teacher and I listened to him present how he felt he was doing in school. He put so much time and thought into his presentation. He is so in touch with exactly who he is, and how is he doing. I was very impressed with the young man my son is becoming. His teacher could not really add information that he had not already covered. He gave his strengths and weaknesses with such accuracy, I was amazed. His teacher is very young, and has only been teaching for 2 years, but I love her. I could not have asked for a better teacher for him. She is wise beyond her years, and is so fantastic with the students. This year is such a great school year for both of my kids. Such a change from last year, when I was not at all happy with the teacher Charlie had.

No comments: